ICE said Amar was in “voluntary protective custody,” apart from other detainees, when he hanged himself more than two weeks later. Officials would not say why he was taken off suicide watch. The Geo Group referred questions to ICE, and the Russian Embassy declined to comment.

Some advocates announced Amar’s death prematurely. He was declared brain dead at St. Joseph Medical Center on Nov. 18 and taken off life support Saturday. The cause of death was asphyxiation by hanging, the medical examiner’s office said.

Other cases

The case is the latest to draw concern from advocates and watchdogs about detainee care. After a 32-year-old man hanged himself last year at Adelanto Detention Facility in California, Homeland Security inspectors found “nooses” dangling from air vents during an unannounced inspection. The facility, also run by Geo Group, had at least seven suicide attempts from December 2016 to October 2017.

In Florida, an ICE report found that a 37-year-old man killed himself last year after immigration agents left him unshackled and unsupervised at a hospital.

And three men died over the past two years at Stewart Detention Center in Georgia, including two suicides. Efrain De LaRosa apparently hanged himself in July, also after being removed from suicide watch, according to documents reviewed by The Post.

Prison health experts said the government should order an independent investigation of Amar’s death and urged ICE to increase mental-health services as it expands detention for immigrants, who often don’t speak English or have lawyers to represent them.

“If nothing else, the facilities are expected to keep people alive,” said Robert L. Trestman, a Virginia Tech psychiatry professor who used to supervise health care in Connecticut’s prisons and jails. “Locking people up increases the risk of suicide . . . There should be an ongoing review of how care is being managed.”

Julie Tate in Washington, D.C., and Rodika Tollefson in Tacoma, Wash., contributed to this report.