"The Biden Administration takes the safety and well-being of children in its care very seriously," a White House spokesperson said in a statement to CNN. "Currently we see no basis for Governor Abbott's call to shut down the San Antonio Freeman Coliseum as an intake site, however, his claims will be looked into and investigated by the Department of Health and Human Services."
HHS opened the emergency intake site for unaccompanied migrant children at the Freeman Coliseum last month. Abbott, a critic of the Biden administration's immigration policies, at a press conference Wednesday called for the President to immediately shut down the site and move the children to other government-run facilities after citing complaints, without evidence.
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services told CNN in an email that it had received three separate reports on Wednesday "alleging abuse and neglect" at the site. The Texas Health and Human Services Commission also said the agency "received a report of alleged abuse and neglect involving children" housed at the facility.